Monday, March 25, 2013

Some like it HOT...

...and some (including those with children) like their spicy food to be spicy-flavorful, rather than spicy-burn-the-skin-off-your-palate. I am one of the latter. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good curry, and if it says 'medium' on the menu, then that's fine too. However, you won't find me ordering a vindaloo.

I also like to cook curry, and the following recipe is a good example. I recently discovered Judith Finlayson, and have since bought four of her books. I'm in love, I guess. Great recipes, lots of slow cooker ones, which makes me happy. There is nothing like being able to prepare a dinner when no one else is around, leave it bubbling away all day, and then just quickly finish it, whilst attempting to get youngest son to do his homework, negotiate who is picking up oldest son, and help daughter find the ballet tights she simply threw across her room last week, and now expects to immediately locate, all the while wondering why husband is late...

One tip - the squash in this recipe gets very soft, and disintegrates a little into the sauce. If this doesn't sound like something you will like, then I would add the squash later. I actually kind of like my squash to be 'squashy', as it thickens the sauce and renders the entire dish even more comforting. To each their own.

Mixed Vegetable Coconut Curry
(from Judith Finlayson's The Vegetarian Slow Cooker)
serves 6

1 TBSP vegetable oil
3 cups cubed peeled carrots
2 onions, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBSP minced gingerroot
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 bayleaf
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
4 cups peeled cubed winter squash (I used one whole butternut squash)
1 cup coconut milk
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 long green chile pepper, seeded and minced

1. In skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onions and celery and cook until softened. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, turmeric and bayleaf and cook stirring for 1 minute more. Add tomatoes with their juice and bring to boil. Transfer to stoneware.
2. Stir in squash.

3. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours (or high for 3 hours). Add coconut milk, bell pepper and chile pepper and stir well. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes, until peppers are tender.
3. Serve in bowls over brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment