Sunday, March 17, 2013

"COOKIES!!! UMM-NUM-NUM-NUM-NUM!!!"

Ah yes, cookie monster. A guy after my own heart.

As I said when I started this blog, those allergic, or fundamentally opposed, to sugar will have to look away from time to time. This is one of those times. Go on, leave the room. We'll wait....... However, those who either choose, or have to, live gluten-free, may want to continue reading. (Unless of course you are both sugar and gluten-free, in which case we, quite possibly, should not be friends.)

I owe this recipe to the back of the rolled oats packet from Trader Joe's. I love the addition of sunflower seeds, an underused ingredient in my book.

This is a lesson in 'Don't-believe-everything-you-read-about-not-messing-with-baking-recipes-because-it's-a-science' - the odd tweak is fine: I didn't have enough peanut butter, so only used about 2/3 cup, and added a 1/3 cup of cocoa-almond butter to make up the difference. It made the cookies even more chocolately. Not exactly a problem, in my opinion!

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
(Makes about 40 2.5" diameter cookies)

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 oz chocolate chips
2 eggs
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (I used the roasted ones)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup peanut butter (or see above for substitution)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine sugars and butter and beat until creamy.
3. Add eggs, vanilla and baking soda and mix well.
4. Add peanut butter and mix well.
5. Stir in oats, chocolate chips and seeds.
6. Use a scoop (I used a medium sized ice cream scoop) to drop mounds of dough on a lightly sprayed baking sheet (space apart as they do spread).
7. Bake for 12 minutes until lightly brown around edges.
8. Cool on tray for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack.



Like the man said, "COOKIES!!! UMM-NUM-NUM-NUM-NUM!!!"

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying your posts very much. I hope we can remain friends as I am supposed to be gluten free, I am allergic to oats, and I am supposed to be lowering my sugars. (you will notice I said supposed too. :-)

    ReplyDelete