Saturday, March 16, 2013

Let me tell you a little secret....

...I can get my kids to eat most vegetables.

Don't hate me.
It wasn't always this way.
And there are vegetables that they still won't even consider. Brussel Sprouts are the work of the devil, apparently. But I have discovered a really simple way to make them eat some of the veggies that they previously turned their noses up at.

No, I don't hide them in brownies, or blend them into smoothies. That kind of subterfuge always seemed a little extreme to me, and vaguely distasteful.

Here is the secret - citrus. If I squeeze a lemon over a pan of sauteed kale, or a pot of boiled green beans, those humble veggies miraculously become delicious, and disappear off plates without the necessity of bribery with the promise of dessert.

Bored with simply squeezing lemons everywhere, I searched on Whole Foods' recipe app for a new way of cooking asparagus and found the following recipe. I tweaked it a little, roasting the asparagus instead of steaming it, as they suggest.

I would love to tell you it was a complete success, but youngest son apparently still greets asparagus with an upturned nose. Sigh. However, in my book, two out of three kids is not bad, and make this definitely worth adding to the repertoire of recipes to repeat.

Asparagus with Ginger-Orange Vinaigrette

1 TBSP grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp grated orange peel
2 TBSP fresh orange juice
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 lb asparagus, tough ends snapped off

1. Put asparagus in baking tin and spray with olive oil spray.
2. Roast at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes (depending on your preference and the thickness of the stalks).
3. Whisk together all other ingredients to make dressing.
4. Pour over asparagus and toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment