Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Let's Eat!

I guess it was only a matter of time, and here I am, dipping my toe in the blogosphere.

I am a keen cook and baker, and it has long been frustrating to me that the British have such a bad reputation in the culinary department. This is just my small attempt to correct that injustice, and show the world (well, a few of you anyway) that in fact, we Brits can, and do, cook.

True enough, I am not a classically trained chef, but I do feed my family, which is a feat in itself, given the amount they eat, and the odd (and usually temporary, thank goodness) aversions and cravings they have. Neither are my efforts in the kitchen always successful - I may, for example, never again try to make a pavlova, since failing 5 times seems enough to conclude that meringues created in my kitchen should remain portion-sized.

As for my cooking style, I believe in trying to make sure my family eats healthily. and that they eat a variety of different foods. We don't subscribe wholesale to any particular foodie 'club' - we are not vegetarian or vegan, but eat a lot of vegetarian dishes. Hopefully that means we get the health benefits, and don't have to give up bacon. And I don't believe anything is off-limits. Without carbs, there have been periods when my sons in particular would have starved, and sugar is not the devil in my kitchen. Moderation is good.

One of my biggest joys is trying new recipes, tweaking them, and sharing them. This is my forum for doing so. So friends, let's eat!

1 comment:

  1. yum-can you come cook at our house too-I'll give you fresh eggs :)

    ReplyDelete