Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Farro for the Farrars

I have recently been making an effort to get a wider variety of grains into our diet. According to webmd, "A diet rich in whole grains may help fight your belly bulge while lowering the risk of heart disease". I therefore anticipate looking like Gisele Bundchen and living to the ripe old age of 150.

I found a recipe online for a farro salad (originally printed in Cooking Light), and tweaked it a little for my taste. This is what I came up with. I haven't tried it out on the four fussier members of the family yet, but it tastes pretty yummy to me! And the dog was sniffing around very hopefully as I made it (then again, he thinks dead birds and slugs are tasty, so he might not be the best judge of haute cuisine!)

Farrar Farro Salad (say that fast without spitting, go on, I dare you...)

1 1/2 cups of semipearled farro
4 1/2 TBSP sherry vinegar
3 TBSP olive oil
3 tsp dijon mustard
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBSP olive oil
1 cup diced red onion
1 cup diced orange bell pepper
1 cup crumbled feta cheese

1. Cook farro in 4 cups of boiling water for 23 minutes with the lid on.
2. Drain farro in a sieve and leave to cool to room temperature in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together the sherry vinegar, olive oil, mustard, black pepper and garlic until combined.
4. Saute onion and bell pepper in remaining olive oil over a medium heat until softened and lightly browned.
5. Add onion mixture and whisked dressing to farro and toss to combine.
6. Fold in feta.
7. Serve at room temperature.





2 comments:

  1. This looks like a great salad to take to Music in the Park this summer. More ways to make good grains taste good please!

    ReplyDelete