Monday, March 25, 2013

Man cannot live by bread alone..

..however, there are periods in my sons' lives when I think that is precisely what they have done.

When my children were little, I followed the advice of many nutritionists and didn't turn myself into a short-order cook. I served them whatever their parents were eating, but always had bread on the table, so that, even if they turned their noses up at the main dish, they could fill up on bread and would not starve (or, more realistically, whine inconsolably about being hungry at bedtime). It worked - they are all three still sitting down for dinner with us each night. And we still have bread on the table, although now, it is often because my sons have insatiable appetites; even though they usually eat plenty of the main dish, satisfying those huge appetites needs bread as well.

I have long been a fan of bread machines, and this recipe is what I use mine for the most. I am also often asked to bring this to pot-lucks, and usually have to prevent my kids from eating it all in the car on the way. You need a breadmaker which has a dough only setting, but if you have one of those, this may become it's new raison d'etre.

Breadmaker Foccacia
(makes a 1lb loaf)

3/4 cup warm water
1 TBSP olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups AP flour
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp yeast

1. Add ingredients to breadmaker in order show above.
2. Set breadmaker to dough only setting (i.e. no baking).
3. When breadmaker has finished, remove dough and put it onto a round pizza baking tray which you have sprinkled liberally with AP flour.
4. Use your fingers to poke down the dough and flatten it into a rough circle about 1" thick. Doesn't matter if it looks bumpy.
5. Brush with olive oil all over the top.

6.Sprinkle with dried/fresh herbs (I like basil, oregano and thyme), and then with parmesan*
7. Leave dough to rise in a warm room. Within an hour, it should have doubled at least in thickness.

8. Bake at 400 F until golden brown (usually takes 10-15 minutes).
I really wish you could smell this.... it's dribble-inducing.

*You can top the focaccia with whatever you like. I've tried sliced olives, roasted peppers, different cheeses. It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment