Monday, September 29, 2014

The mysteries of root beer

I have often wondered who on earth invented root beer (and why, quite frankly). This is usually followed by a spell of wondering why it's existence is allowed to continue unchecked. My abhorrence for all things root beer is not simply random. The smell of the stuff makes me want to physically gag, so steering clear of it is a health issue for me and a public service. And I have my reasons, well one reason, specifically. In the UK, the most common brand of antiseptic cream is called 'Germolene'. It is vibrant pink in color, and all of us who grew up there would recognize the smell (and the color) instantly and be transported back to a youth of skinned knees and irritated insect bites. So imagine my horror when I moved to the US and discovered that one of the country's most popular beverages smells exactly (and I mean EXACTLY) like antiseptic cream. Except that you don't liberally rub it root beer over cuts and scrapes. Oh no, you drink it. Imagine pouring yourself a nice cold glass of Neosporin, and you will no doubt understand my reaction.

However, I am nothing if not open-minded, and have had to become all the more so, since one of my children, who were all born and bred in the US, seems to have developed a taste for drinking root beer, so I even have to allow it in my fridge from time to time. My interest in thinking more flexibly and being a tad less dogmatic (just a tad, mind you), was therefore piqued when I recently found a recipe for a chicken dish where the chicken is cooked in root beer. And I have to say, my interests were right to pique themselves, since this was a pretty good dish and a fun dinner for everyone around the table. If you didn't know that there was root beer in the recipe, you would probably find it hard to guess - it lends a sweetness and slight spiciness to the chicken, but isn't at all overwhelming and didn't make me feel like I was dining on antiseptic, which is always a good thing, I find! All in all, a dish that bears sharing and a repeat appearance in my kitchen.


Root Beer Pulled Chicken with Rainbow Slaw
original recipe from Family Circle
Serves 6-8

2 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 12oz can root beer (not diet)
1 TBSP vegetable/canola oil
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 TBSP yellow mustard (not hot mustard!)
8 bread rolls (I used ciabatta rolls)

for the slaw:
2/3 cup light mayonnaise
2 TBSP cider vinegar
1 TBSP vegetable/canola oil
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
12 oz broccoli slaw mix
1 cup shredded red cabbage

1. Coat slow cooker with oil spray and then place the chicken breasts on the base of the stoneware. Sprinkle with onion salt and garlic powder.
2. Pour over the root beer (holding nose if necessary!)
3. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
4. Meanwhile, heat vegetable/canola oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes until softened and turning golden.
5. Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, molasses and mustard. Bring to the boil, and simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Make the slaw - whisk together the mayonnaise, cider vinegar, oil, sugar, celery salt and pepper. Add the broccoli slaw mix and shredded red cabbage and stir to combine.
7. When cooking time is up, remove chicken from slow cooker and use two forks to shred it. Take a half cup of the cooking liquid from the slow cooker and then discard the rest. Return the shredded chicken and reserved cooking liquid to the slow cooker and stir in the sauce.
7. Serve the chicken on the bread rolls and top with slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment