Thursday, September 4, 2014

More florets please!

I get a weekly bag of seasonal vegetables from a local CSA, and recently cauliflower has been making an appearance. Now, I love nothing more than par-boiled cauliflower baked in a cheese sauce and topped with succulent tomatoes and crispy breadcrumbs. Why, I'm struggling not to dribble on my keyboard right now. But, as you know, I am also somewhat addicted to trying out new recipes, so when a Cooking Light recipe for Cauliflower Fritters hit my inbox, it was the kind of coincidence you might call 'fortuitous'.

I have to say, that despite the appearance of cauliflower in the recipe, the resulting morsels of crispy goodness don't taste strongly of cauliflower, which might make this dish useful to those trying to persuade reticent children to partake of a few florets. Whether overtly cauliflowery or not, these fritters were gobbled up by my family, who then nearly wept when they realized they were all gone. I kid you not. The original recipe calls 2 fritters a serving. Well, they haven't met my daughter, who polished off 5, hardly taking a breath between mouthfuls. Yes, this recipe is definitely a keeper, and definitely one for doubling (the recipe below gives original quantities - I made double this for my five mouths, and there was not even a crumb left). I hope your florets are just as appreciated around the dinner table.



Cauliflower Fritters with Yoghurt Sauce
Serves 4 (*see notes above!)

10 oz steamed cauliflower (don't boil it, or it will end up too wet)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 TBSP flour
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
3/4 cup refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
2 oz shredded white cheddar cheese
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup plain 2% fat Greek yoghurt
2 TBSP minced green onions (spring onions)
2 TBSP mayonnaise
2 tsp fresh lemon juice

1. Place the steamed cauliflower in a large bowl and mash with a potato-masher. Stir in onion, flour, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon rind, potatoes, cheese and eggs.
2. Form into 8 patties.
3. Heat a large skillet or griddle over a medium-high heat. Spray with oil spray. Cook the patties for 4 minutes on each side or until crispy and golden brown.
4. Combine yoghurt, green onions, mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season to taste.
5. Serve fritters hot with yoghurt sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment