Thursday, October 9, 2014

Pumpkin, how do I love thee..

...let me count the ways.

OK, confession time: I don't like pumpkin pie. I know, shock, horror, I realize it's amazing they agreed to grant me American citizenship. It's a texture thing, I think. Can't explain it, just don't like it. However, you can put pumpkin in pretty much anything else, and I will gobble it up, particularly given the usual blend of spices that go alongside our 'squashy' fall friend. It is an American custom I have 99% (the remaining 1% being the pie) adopted with a smile, so bring on the muffins, cupcakes, cookies, cakes, even the lattes (and yes, I know that they haven't been anywhere near a real pumpkin, and that Starbucks is the devil incarnate, yada yada yada. I can't help it if they still hit that spot).

You find pumpkin featuring more rarely in savory dishes though, it seems to me. This dish is an example of why we should probably allow our squashy friend to branch out more often. It is also a dish where the pumpkin lends a substance but not a strong flavor, making it very kid-friendly. In fact, I could easily have billed this dinner as a new recipe Mac 'n' cheese and certain tablemates would have never guessed they were eating pumpkin (helped no doubt by the fact that they eat so fast that the food can hardly touch the sides on the way down).

The original recipe came from one of those waiting-for-the-kids-again-in-the-car-so-I-may-as-well-read-recipes-online-on-my-phone moments. Its a quick fix for those among us like me who are cookbook-addicted, but miles away from their stash, our own emergency little nicotine patch, if you will. Creds for the untweaked version go to Cooking Light online - however, the tweaks are all mine.



Rotini with Pumpkin and Pancetta
Serves 6

1lb rotini
6oz pancetta or bacon in a small dice
4 TBSP finely chopped fresh sage
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling!)
1 cup grated parmesan
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
4 TBSP heavy cream (double cream)
4 TBSP chopped fresh parsley

1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain over a bowl, reserving 1 1/2 cups of cooking liquid. Set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook for 4 minutes or until nearly crisp. Add 2 TBSP of the sage and the garlic, and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
3. Stir in pumpkin, parmesan, salt and pepper.
4. Add the pasta, reserved cooking liquid and cream and toss to combine.
5. Serve sprinkled with remaining sage and parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment