Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Unknown territory

I have never been to Minnesota. In fact, until recently, all that I knew about Minnesota came from that movie with Renee Zellweger, where she is some high powered Miami exec who gets forcibly relocated to Minnesota (New in Town). Actually, all I really remember about that movie is that it was very cold in Minnesota. I think most of the jokes revolved around that, and accents. It wasn't one of Renee's more memorable roles. Anyway, if it really is that cold in Minnesota, then all the more reason why they need winter warming recipes like this one :-) I cooked up a huge pot of this on Halloween. Each year, I have this great plan that the kids will go out trick or treating with at least something in their tummies, and then I will tell them they can eat as much of their candy-haul as they want to, and they will eat only a moderate amount, because they are full of yummy soup already. Cunning, eh? Well, it would be, if it worked.

This recipe came from Myrecipes.com (and originally from Cooking Light), from where I learned another great fact about Minnesota: apparently, the state grain is wild rice. I'm not sure that featured in the movie, but my memory is not reliable where average films are concerned. Whether it did, or did not, it lends some thickness and creaminess to the soup, and looks pretty, so that's fine with me. The only tweak I have made is to add more chicken than in the original (so that it is a meal in itself) and to add more thyme. Taste before eating too - I found I needed to add a bit more salt for my taste.



Minnesota Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
Serves 6

2 leeks
1 TBSP unsalted butter
3/4 cup of finely chopped celery stalks (about 2 stalks)
10 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
7 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup AP/plain flour
2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 1 1/4lbs)
1 cup half-and-half (for the non-Americans out there, use half cream, half milk)
3 TBSP dry white wine
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
bread to dunk :-)

1. Cut leeks in half lengthwise, wash under running water and then slice into 1/4" slices.
2. Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add leeks, celery and mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes or so, until tender. Stir in 6 cups broth. Add rice, salt, thyme and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45-55 minutes or until rice has 'popped' and is tender.
3. Combine flour and remaining cup of broth with a whisk until smooth. Add mixture to soup in pan, and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Reduce heat to low, add chicken, half-and-half, wine and mustard. Cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated through.


No comments:

Post a Comment