Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Slow cooker slam-dunk

If  could somehow put into words how the kitchen smells when the crockpot is bubbling away with this dish, then I would. But I'm not sure words will do it justice. However, you know me well enough by now, to know that I will try! Suffice to say, it is deliciously citrusy with an eastern spicy twist that you just can't put your finger on.

If I could put into words how this dish tastes, when served over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes(with some steamed cabbage mixed in), then I would.... Oh OK then: it is a succulent mix of delicate flavors worthy of a chilly winter's evening.

If I could describe how grateful I am to Sara Lewis for including this recipe in her book Slowcooker Easy, then..... For once, however, I think I'll just shut up, and let the recipe speak for itself (and the photo prove the point). Now there's a first ;-)



Pork with Orange and Star Anise
Serves 8

2 TBSP canola/sunflower oil
8 pork chops, trimmed and each cut into 2-3 pieces
2 onions, chopped
4 TBSP AP/plain flour
900 ml chicken stock
grated rind and juice of 2 oranges
6 TBSP plum sauce
4 TBSP soy sauce
7-8 whole star anise
salt and pepper

1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add pieces of pork and cook over high heat until browned on both sides. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon and transfer to slow cooker pot.
2, Add onion to skillet and fry, stirring until lightly browned. Stir in flour, and then gradually mix in stock, orange rind and juice, plum sauce, soy sauce and star anise. Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil, stirring.
3. Pour sauce over pork in slowcooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes (mixed with steamed cabbage, if you like).

No comments:

Post a Comment