Sunday, August 18, 2013

You put the lime in the coconut...

One of my resident cookie monsters

... by now, you should know my love affair with citrus. Is there anything more summery and delicious? I ask you. (It's rhetorical though - please don't feel like you need to answer, because quite frankly, you're going to get the recipe whether or not you agree.) Well, it occurred to me the other day that it had been some time since I baked AND that I had some limes sitting in a bowl on the island that were threatening to go to waste. So I decided to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

I am not the most creative of people (this is the point where you protest...profusely). Seriously though, thanks for all the compliments you are giving me from your desk at this moment, I'm sure, you lovely people... but I am generally a recipe-tweaker, rather than a recipe-inventor. Yesterday however, faced with my limes, and a jar of coconut oil I picked up at Trader Joe's in a fit of "Oooh-that-looks-interesting-I'm-sure-I-could-use-that-for-something", I had a moment of creative genius however, and fiddled around to create a cookie recipe, which came out rather well, if I do say so myself. If you can't find any coconut oil, then just use another stick of butter and call them Lime cookies. I hope you enjoy them as much as we have so far :-)



Lime and Coconut Cookies
(Makes 35-40 3" diameter cookies)

Cookie dough:
4 cups AP flour (= plain flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick/4 oz unsalted butter, softened
5 oz coconut oil (cool enough so that it is as solid as the butter)
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
zest of 3 limes

Glaze:
1 cup powdered/icing sugar
lime juice (around 2 limes)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Make cookie dough: beat butter, coconut oil and sugar in a mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add lime zest and combine.
3. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt, then, with mixer on low, gradually add to the butter/oil/sugar mixture.
4. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4" thickness, then use round cookie cutter to cut out cookies.
5. Transfer cookies to an ungreased baking sheet and bake until edges start to brown (around 18-20 minutes).
6. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
7. Make glaze: in a small mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar with enough lime juice to make a glaze that is runny enough to drizzle. Drizzle over the cookies with a spoon, then leave to set before serving, or storing.





No comments:

Post a Comment