Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb!

You've got to love food where the name itself is delicious. Rhubarb is just such a food. Try saying the word without smiling! Sadly, it seems to be sorely underused in my adopted home here in California, and is not often available in the supermarket. Moreover, the Farrars' fingers are a whole spectrum removed from green, so growing it doesn't seem like a practical, or should I say 'fruitful' (hehehe) enterprise. When it does appear in the supermarket, I look at it wistfully, conjuring up memories of my mum's rhubarb fool or rhubarb pie, and then walk on by, confessing that, never having actually made any of these dishes myself, I wouldn't know what to do with it. This week, I decided to break the cycle of rhubarb-related disappointment, and bought a bunch. Since then, it has been staring up at me from the vegetable drawer, and whispering softly 'use me', in a manner that would make even Lewis Carroll proud.

Now that the kids are back in school (hang on a minute, let me just pause for a quick delirious cheer and dance around the kitchen...... OK, back now), I have a bit more time to dabble in the kitchen, so I decided to fiddle around and make some rhubarb muffins. I have to say, the result is rather delicious. These little morsels don't just whisper, they shout "Eat me in large quantities with a cup of tea!". Eat your heart out, Alice! And then we may have to look for more salad recipes to repair the damage, or you'll never get back out of that rabbit hole...



Rhubarb Muffins
Makes 12 regular sized muffins

1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yoghurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBSP, plus 2 tsp, unsalted butter, divided
2 TBSP canola/sunflower oil
1 egg
zest of one small orange (1 1/2 tsp), divided
2 TBSP fresh orange juice
1 1/3 cups AP/plain flour
1 cup, plus 1 TBSP, brown sugar, divided
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup finely diced rhubarb (1/4" dice)
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. Line the cups of a regular 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
3. Melt 2 TBSP butter in a medium-sized bowl. Add yoghurt, vanilla extract, oil, egg, 1 tsp of the orange zest and all the orange juice. Whisk together to combine.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, I cup of the brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
5. Add the yoghurt mixture and stir until just combined. Add rhubarb and fold in.
6. Fill each of the muffin cups 2/3 full with the batter.
7. In a separate small bowl, melt remaining 2 tsp of butter, then stir in remaining 1 TBSP of brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and remaining 1 tsp orange zest.
8. Distribute this evenly over the top of the muffins.
9. Bake for 25 minutes in preheated oven, until tops of muffins are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment