Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pearly Plates

Food is about so much more than taste. Texture clearly plays a huge role too. That is the only way I can explain the horrified looks with which two of my children have always greeted avocado, for example. Let's face it, it IS a weird texture, and one not shared by many other foods. One of my daughter's favorite foods is pearl couscous, and again I think this has to do with the texture, as much as the taste, since couscous is really just a base for other flavors.

Clearly my daughter must have enamored herself to me recently, as I wanted to create a dish based on her favorite texture, and one of her favorite tastes, namely basil and pesto. Combine that desire to please her Preteen Highness with the contents of my fridge, and this is what I came up with. If I do say so myself, it was rather tasty, and her Majesty showered me with the kind of compliments which so rarely emanate from a preteen's mouth, that they should be savored as much as the food itself.



Smoked Mozzarella and Couscous salad with Basil Vinaigrette
Serves 4

1 1/2 cups pearl couscous (also called Israeli couscous)
3/4 cup basil leaves
1/3 cup olive oil
1 TBSP white wine vinegar
1 cup finely chopped orange bell pepper
1 cup halved/quartered cherry/grape tomatoes
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
6 oz cubed smoked mozzarella
salt and pepper

1. Prepare couscous according to directions, drain and rinse in a colander with cold water. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, process the basil, oil and vinegar until smooth.
3. Toss together the dressing, couscous and remaining ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment