Friday, July 12, 2013

My big fat Greek lasagna

One of my favorite cookbooks is the fantastically named 9 x 13: The Pan That Can. Even if the contents were dire, you have to love it for the name. As the name implies, everything in there is cooked in a 9" x 13" pan, so if you have one of those, then you are ready to go, very satisfying if, like me, you get very frustrated when you find that a recipe requires a 2.85" deep x 13.76" diameter non-stick springform pan with fluted edges...

The book was recommended to me by a good friend, let's call her Kate, whom I mention not only to express my gratitude in public for having referred me to the book, but also because she will find it hilarious that she is mentioned in a cooking blog, since she often professes to be hopeless in the kitchen. I have to say, I have eaten at her house many times, and have always eaten well.

I am a sucker for lasagna. Since my dad always claimed not to like lasagna, we never had it home when I was growing up, a deprivation for which I'm not sure I have yet forgiven him, not least because, pretty much the moment I left home, he saw the error of his ways, and now eats lasagna with gusto. I therefore feel the need to make up for lost time, and make as many different versions of the dish as possible. Not only is it a delicious meal, which can be 'gussied up' enough to serve to company, but it is also a one-dish meal, so you can prepare it in advance, pop it in the oven on a timer, and all you have to do is make a salad (and drink some wine before your guests arrive... just to make sure it's OK, you understand). Far more conducive to an enjoyable evening, I find.



Greek-Style Lasagna
Serves 8

16 dried (no pre-cook necessary) lasagna sheets (I used Barilla)
1 lb ground lamb or ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 8oz can tomato sauce (or passata)
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 tsp crushed dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
3 TBSP butter
3 TBSP AP flour
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 3/4 cups milk (I use 2% or semi-skimmed)
1/2 cup grated parmesan
2 eggs, beaten
4 oz pitted calamata olives, roughly chopped
8 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup shredded cheddar
snipped chives to serve

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large skillet, cook ground meat, onion and garlic until meat is cooked through, breaking up the meat as you cook. Stir in tomato sauce, wine, oregano and cinnamon and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Quickly stir in the one beaten egg and set aside.
3. In a medium pan, melt butter, then stir in flour and pepper. Add milk gradually, stirring continuously. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1/4 cup of the parmesan and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, combine the two beaten eggs and the remaining 1/4 cup of grated parmesan. Set aside.
5. Spread about 3 TBSP of the sauce over the base of the 9x13 pan. Cover with a single layer of lasagna sheets. Spread with 1/3 of the meat sauce, 1/3 of the remaining cheese sauce and 1/3 of the olives. Drizzle with 1/3 of the egg-parmesan mixture, then sprinkle with 1/3 of the feta and 1/3 of the cheddar. Repeat layers two more times, starting with lasagna and ending with cheddar cheese.
6. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until heated through and starting to brown on top. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving and sprinkle with snipped chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment