Sunday, April 28, 2013

Tweaked and Twisted makes the cut

I have had a recipe for Lentil Moussaka in my recipe file for years. It's on a crumpled post-it (except the non-sticky kind, which makes me think, I've had it for a really long time!). The ink is all smudged, and there is no source listed. Whoever you are, sorry I cannot credit you. However, since the recipe has never worked right, I expect you should be glad that I can't. I have tried it several times (ever the optimist) and never has it really come out well. It's been dry, not cheesy enough, too much aubergine/eggplant, you name it. But, call me stubborn, this week I decided to have another go and made a few tweaks and twists.

I have to say, I think this one now makes the cut for a blog entry. It was juicy, with enough aubergine/eggplant to merit being called a moussaka, but without it being overpowering, and enough creamy topping to keep it all moist and cheesy.

I would love to tell you that all three kids ate it, but no. One out of three isn't bad though, and let's be honest, if I was to follow all their advice, I would be wearing neon, worshiping Taylor Swift and laughing at sitcoms on the Disney Channel as if they were actually funny. As much as I like my kids to eat, I cannot cater to their preferences every night. My policy as always been "hey, there is bread on the table, you won't starve".



Lentil Moussaka
Serves 6

6 oz red lentils
1 28oz can diced tomatoes and 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 vegetable stock cube
225ml boiling water
olive oil
1 large aubergine/eggplant sliced into 1/2" slices and then each slice halved
1 large red onion, finely chopped
4 eggs
20 oz light cream cheese (Neufchatel)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp onion powder

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Put lentils, tinned tomatoes, garlic, oregano and nutmeg into a saucepan. Dissolve stock cube in boiling water and add that to pan. Bring to boil, and then simmer for 20 minutes, by which point, lentils should be cooked.
3. Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a large skillet and saute the aubergine/eggplant with the onion until lightly browned and softened.
4. Spray a 9" square ovenproof dish with olive oil spray. Pour in half of the lentil mixture. Top with a layer of the aubergine/eggplant slices and onion. Then pour over the rest of the lentil mixture.
5. Beat eggs with softened cream cheese, onion powder and nutmeg. Spread this mixture over the top of the lentils in the ovenproof dish, spreading it out to the edges of the dish.
6. This can bubble over in the oven, so put a baking sheet under the shelf you plan to place the dish on to before putting the dish in the oven.
7. Bake the moussaka in the oven for 25-35 minutes until the top is set and lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment