Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Oh-so-very-spring chicken

You remember last week when, in a fit of pique at evidence of my advancing age (and consequent lack of coordination), I posted several recipes involving ancient grains? Well, this is the antidote to that. I saw this recipe in my favorite British food magazine Good Food, and how could I turn down something called 'Spring Chicken'?

Not that I am getting any younger this week, and I did trip over the doggy stair gate this morning, so my coordination is still not what it was. But, since you are apparently only as young as you feel, I am opting to change my mindset, at least through the recipes I choose. Clearly I express my emotions through the food I put on the table. Not to worry, unless I start posting up anything involving blood oranges...

Posting a recipe called Spring Chicken also gives me the opportunity to post a link to one of the classic Swedish Chef skits. I wish I had his panache in the kitchen ;-)
Swedish Chef Spring Chicken Skit

Anyway, this dish (involving a more conventional chicken, that was not still springing when it made it into my kitchen) went down a treat. As you will no doubt have noticed, I do like one-pot meals, but often they are a little wintery and more suited to a cold dark evening, rather than a warm sunny spring dinnertime, when there is still abundant daylight outside. This dish is an exception, as it really does taste light and appropriate to a warmer season.

The recipe is taken from Good Food Magazine (available internationally as an app on your iPad from iTunes) and the only tweaks I made were adding a little white wine (to deglaze the pan, honestly, that's all!), and since I couldn't find anything called 'spring greens' here in CA, I used a bag with a mixture of turnip, collard and mustard greens. In addition, I added more carrots than were listed here, so that it really did feel like a well-rounded one-pot meal, and consequently added more stock, to ensure that they all cooked, and more pesto and creme fraiche to flavor the sauce.

Don't forget some bread to mop up all the deliciousness left behind by the spoon.


Spring Chicken One-Pot
serves 4

1 TBSP olive oil
8 boneless chicken thighs
1 onion, sliced
7 oz bacon, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
4 large handfuls of mixed greens (mustard, turnip, collard, kale...)
28 fl oz chicken stock
11 oz baby new potatoes (halve if necessary)
3 TBSP creme fraiche
3 TBSP pesto

1. Heat oil in a large heavy based pan with a lid. Season and brown chicken all over. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside. Cook onion and bacon in same pan for 5 mins until softened and lightly colored.
2. Return chicken to pan and add remaining ingredients except creme fraiche and pesto. Season with plenty of ground black pepper.
3. Bring to the boil, then cover and gently simmer for 30-40 minutes until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through.
4. Stir in creme fraiche and pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment