Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Nuts and grains and greens...oh my!

I know, I know. It's been a while (don't worry - we have been eating, just not blogging). But this is early January, a time for resolutions and the conviction that you might actually be able to pull them off. So here I go, determined to blog more this year. To be honest, I need to - my addiction to trying out recipes and tweaking them isn't going anywhere, and it is one of my healthier addictions, so probably best to follow where it leads! And, if I don't blog about them, I don't have a record of the recipes, so repeating the fabulous ones is way more difficult.

The other resolution for the month (and hopefully beyond) is the obvious and ubiquitous 'eat more healthily' one. We generally eat pretty healthily in this house, but...ahem... December is a bit of an exception! (Oh Peppermint Bark, how do I love thee?). In addition, all three of my children have recently become vegetarians. Number three is not yet completely committed, but is determined to try it out for a month first. Nevertheless, it does mean broadening my repertoire of veggie feasts. Fortunately no one is going vegan (because cheeeeeeeeeese!). Otherwise the slightly grumpy, "why-can't-I-eat-meat-for-dinner" husband would probably be leaving home.

I am hoping to win round Mr I'll-wither-away-if-I-don't-eat-meat to a healthier lifestyle though, as his choices are not always made with health and longevity in mind, shall we say. My goal is that we become what I think is known as 'flexitarian'. We'll eat vegetarian most of the time, but occasionally we will tuck into a steak, or a pulled pork sandwich if we feel we want to. My hope is that recipes like the one below are tasty and satisfying enough to make that a rare occurrence. Fingers very crossed!

The recipe in question is a great salad because it is filling and checks a lot of the boxes, with whole grains (farro), plenty of vitamins from the veggies, antioxidants, protein from nuts, and tasty tasty feta cheese (because cheeeeeeeese!). It isn't a throw-it-all-in-the-bowl-and-toss-to-serve simple five minute salad, admittedly, but it is worth a bit of time and effort and can also be made well ahead of when you want to serve it. (I served it at room temperature, but I'm sure it would be great hot or cold too).



Roasted Sweet Potato, Kale and Farro Salad
Serves 5
Adapted from cookieandkate.com

1 1/2 cups semi-pearled farro
2lbs sweet potatoes (2 large), peeled and cut into 1" cubes
olive oil
2 tsp sumac
salt and black pepper
1 bunch laminate (or Tuscan) kale, ribs removed and thinly sliced
1 large shallot, halved and thinly sliced
2 TBSP red wine vinegar
2 TBSP sugar
2 medium lemons
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup of fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
1/4 cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

1. Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
2. Juice the lemons and whisk the juice with 1 TBSP of olive oil, the dijon mustard and some salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss this mixture with the sliced kale, massaging it into the kale leaves, as this will help them soften. Leave aside for at least 30 minutes (but it isn't a problem if you leave it for longer).
3. Spread out the sweet potato cubes on a large oven tray, and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with sumac and salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Roast in oven for 30 minutes by which time the sweet potato will be fork tender and starting to brown at the edges (and your kitchen will smell delicious!)
4. Cook the farro by adding to boiling salted water and simmering for 15-20 minutes (should be chewy and tender but not soft when cooked). Drain and leave to cool.
5. Combine the sliced shallot with sugar, vinegar and 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook over a medium heat for about 8 minutes by which time the liquid should have reduced a little (and your kitchen will smell even better!). Set aside
6. To assemble the salad, drain the onions, and mix with the cooled farro, marinated kale and roasted sweet potato. Stir in the fresh mint and the feta, and then sprinkle the hazelnuts over the top.

2 comments: