Thursday, March 6, 2014

Carnivores rejoice!

I know the vegetarian lifestyle is healthy, don't get me wrong, but I don't like 'forbiddens' in my diet. Not because I necessarily disapprove of vetoing things per se, but rather because I have zero will-power, so therefore giving up anything (except perhaps peas) would be nigh-on impossible, let alone unpleasant. I admire the strength of will exhibited by many of my friends (and indeed my own mother) when it comes to going vegetarian, and since they are all gorgeous healthy individuals, they are a great advert for a meat-free diet. But I will not be joining their ranks.

A good beef stew is one such thing which I confess I would not, nay COULD not, decide to forgo for ever and ever. So while I aim for our family to be meat-free at least two days per week (and often more), some days, we embrace our carnivorous tendencies wholesale, and indulge in some red meat. I console myself by often attempting to find more healthy recipes, which, while they include meat, have other more virtuous ingredients, like whole grains.

This recipe is one such example, containing as it does, hulless barley. It attracted me also because of the interesting combination of rosemary (which grows rampantly in our garden, so is technically free!) and orange. And because it comes from Judith Finlayson's The Healthy Slow Cooker, one of my favorite cookbooks, so it was pretty much a guaranteed winner. Thanks again Judith!



Beef and Barley with Rosemary and Orange
Serves 6

olive oil
2 lbs trimmed stewing beef, cut into 1" cubes
10 oz sliced cremini mushrooms (or any mushroom will do)
3 onions, finely chopped
4 stalks celery, diced
4 carrots, peeled and diced
4 cloves garlic (minced)
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
1 cup hulless barley (you can use pearled, and it may take less time to cook)
3 cups beef stock
1 1/2 cups red wine
salt and black pepper
fresh parsley

1. Heat 1 TBSP of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the beef in batches (about 4 mins per batch). Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
2. Add another 1 TBSP oil to the same skillet and sauté the mushrooms until lightly seared (about 2 mins). Add to the slow cooker.
3. Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pan and cook until the carrots are softened (about 7 mins). Add the garlic, rosemary and orange zest and cook for a further minute. Add barley, orange juice, stock and wine and bring to a boil.  Season to taste with salt and pepper, then transfer to slow cooker and stir well.
4. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours. Garnish with parsley to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment