Friday, January 3, 2014

Potato salad redeemed

I'm not usually a fan of potato salad. Don't get me wrong, I love me some humble potato-ey starchy goodness with my dinner, but the combination of cold, powdery potato, raw onion and huge globs of mayonnaise isn't exactly my idea of foodie heaven. And whoever thought of adding gray hard-boiled eggs to the mixture needs their sanity (and taste-buds) testing. However, there are two potato salads that do make it to my table. Both of them are best served at room temperature, or even warm, which I think helps to assuage my usual aversion to potato salad. And both are gobbled up by my kids, meaning that doubling quantities is always worthwhile, as the daily 'OMG-what-do-you-give-children-who-don't-like-sandwiches-for-lunch?' dilemma is solved for at least the following day (particularly given that they don't mind their starch served chilled).

The first recipe comes from Cooking Light magazine, and is a recent discovery this week, during our post-Christmas purge. (OK, so I know that potato salad isn't exactly the most healthy and low-calorie side out there, but compared to what my family has been putting away over the holiday season, it is veritably virtuous!) The second recipe below is taken from Delia Smith's Summer Collection, and fulfills two of my family's golden rules at mealtime: there must be some kind of carbohydrate served or we may starve; and lemon juice makes everything taste fabulous. Over the years, I think I have made several truckloads of this recipe, and it never fails to all disappear. I've stayed relatively true to both recipes - you can't mess with perfection.



Fingerling Potato and Prosciutto Salad
Serves 4-6

2lbs fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise (if you can't find fingerlings, any new potatoes will do)
2 TBSP white wine vinegar
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
6 TBSP crème fraiche
2 tsp finely chopped fresh sage
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
6 oz thinly sliced prosciutto, finely chopped

1. Place potatoes in a pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain, return to pan and stir in the vinegar. Cover and leave to cool to warm in the pan.
2. Combine barely warm potatoes and remaining ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently to combine.

*******

Warm Potato Salad with Lemon Chive Vinaigrette
Serves 4-6

2lb new potatoes, with their skins on, halved if large
4 TBSP lemon juice
grated zest of 1 lemon
4 TBSP olive oil
1 heaped tsp grain mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper
2 TBSP snipped fresh chives
4 green onions (spring onions) trimmed and sliced thinly

1. Place potatoes in a saucepan covered with boiling water and simmer for 15-20 minutes depending on their size, until tender. Drain and return to saucepan.
2. Make vinaigrette by whisking together, lemon juice and zest, olive oil, mustard, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add vinaigrette to hot potatoes and toss together. Scatter in chives and green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment