Friday, June 21, 2013

So much more than a side

If I were a salad, I'd be pretty annoyed to be called a side; a mere accompaniment. To put all that tasty effort in, and be condemned to the ignominy of merely sitting alongside a more important dish? Yep, that would not be satisfying. What I can say, is that this side is worthy of a starring role on your plate. How do I know this? Well, firstly because this one is a doozy in the taste department, and secondly, because I stupidly over-catered and doubled the quantities below, meaning that we have all been eating leftovers for lunch for the last few days. I have a habit of over-catering, but I blame the fact that my kids can often eat an incredible amount of food, and that when they will do so is completely unpredictable. Also, I have a pathological fear of under-catering, a sin which would send my guilt complex into an over-drive from which it might never recover. So forgive me. Otherwise, you'll merely contribute to the guilt problem - vicious circle, p'raps?!

Another sin, of which I am definitely guilty, is that I add recipes to my bulging 'I need to try this' folder, without always noting the source. This in one such recipe - someone lovingly typed this out for me, and I have no idea who it was. Whoever you are, you are lovely, and so is the recipe. Enjoy.

Malaysian Summer Salad
Serves 4 as a main course, or 6-8 as a side ("Ahem! Who you calling a side?")



Dressing:
3 TBSP toasted sesame oil
2 TBSP soy sauce
2 TBSP orange juice
2 TBSP cider vinegar
1 TBSP orange zest
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp grated fresh ginger

Salad:
1 cup chopped celery
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
4 scallions, finely chopped
3 cups cooked short grain brown rice
1/2 cup roasted peanuts (no salt)
1/2 cup roasted cashews (no salt)
2 TBSP toasted sesame seeds

1/3 cup golden raisins
1 cup snow peas, trimmed and sliced
1 cup bean sprouts

1. In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients, and whisk until well blended.
2. In a large bowl, combine celery, bell peppers and scallions. Add rice and mix well. Sprinkle in nuts, seeds and raisins and mix well. Add snow peas and bean sprouts to the mixture. Pour over dressing and mix well. Chill until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment