Wednesday, June 26, 2013

More heavenly wholegrains

Yes, I'm a goody-two-shoes, but I really am enjoying the recent Farrar forays into the wonderful world of wholegrains. I've been on a quest to improve our diet in this house, yes, but also to increase the variety. Quite frankly I was getting bored of rice and cous-cous. Today's heavenly wholegrain addition to the Farrar repertoire is bulgur wheat. This is a form of wheat (so those who are gluten intolerant should steer clear) that has been parboiled, cracked and dried. I have had it in the past, but only in Tabbouleh, a delicious Middle Eastern salad (if you are interested, then there is a Barefoot Contessa recipe for Tabbouleh here)

This dish is a great addition to a spot of summer evening barbeque. I found the recipe in Cooking Light, but tweaked it a bit: the supermarket had run out of kalamata olives (except for the disgusting canned kind), so I used green olives; and I added more vinegar to the dressing, as my family like sharp tasting foods. Oh, and I added more feta because.... well just because.

Enjoy :-)



Bulgur Wheat Salad with Feta and Olives
Serves 5

1 cup medium bulgur wheat (denotes the size of the grain - not crucial here, but might affect cooking time)
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup thinly sliced fennel
1/2 cup olives, halved
1/2 cup shelled, roasted, salted pistachios
5 oz feta cheese, crumbled
3 TBSP red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

1. Cook bulgur wheat according to packet directions, drain (if necessary) and cool slightly.
2. Mix bulgur wheat with remaining ingredients and serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment