Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The nights are still chilly somewhere

Apologies for my recent absence from the blogosphere, but I have been busy launching my new business: BiteSize Baking. For those of you who are local to the Bay Area, please check it out here.

I also had some family visiting from the UK, so I have been equally busy talking in a plummy accent whilst discussing the weather, scones and the fact that pants are worn underneath trousers. Now that my family are gone (boo hoo), I am consoling myself by returning to my kitchen in earnest. Suffice to say that, so far today, I have prepared a stew, made some bread, and experimented with some gluten-free cupcakes.  And I'm probably not done yet. A return to the kitchen for me, of course means rekindling my affection for the slow cooker. The temperature gauge has kind of gone a bit crazy here in the Bay Area this week, and spring is definitely here. However, in many parts, it is still decidedly chilly, particularly in the evenings, so I thought another chili dish might be in order.

This one is a keeper - it is healthy, containing a lot of protein from the quinoa and beans, but also vegetarian (even vegan, if you skip the dollop of cheese and sour cream I like to put on top). It will warm your cockles, for sure, assuming that you have cockles, and remember where you put them.



Quinoa and Black Bean Chili
Adapted from The Great American Slow Cooker by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
Serves 6-8

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (plus additional broth if necessary - see below)
2 cups quinoa (any color, I used black)
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 large jalapeno chile, finely chopped
2 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP molasses
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (coriander leaves)
sour cream and shredded cheese (cheddar or Monterey Jack) to serve

1. Stir beans, quinoa, broth, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, celery, jalapeno, chili powder, molasses, cumin, coriander, oregano and salt in the slow cooker stoneware.
2. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Check after 5 hours, and add an additional cup of vegetable broth if appears dry.
3. Stir in most of cilantro before serving. Serve in bowls topped with sour cream, cheese and remaining cilantro.




No comments:

Post a Comment