Saturday, July 6, 2013

Minty Fresh

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I love mint. If you need a favor, just bring me a Pimm's or make me a mojito :-)  I've recently discovered how tasty mint is in savory dishes as well as sweet ones (and cocktails!). It has a fresh taste that just smacks of summer to me.

This recipe will no doubt contribute to my love affair with mint. I clipped it from a Rachael Ray magazine. Rachel makes it with tagliatelle, but I find tagliatelle, linguine and spaghetti just too much like hard work to cook and eat well (and neither did I want to watch the kids struggle with it!), so I opted for rotini. and served it with some slow roasted tomatoes with basil and some roasted asparagus sprinkled with asparagus.



Delish, delish, delish.

Rotini with Zucchini and Mint Pesto
Serves 4

2 TBSP  plus 1/4 cup olive oil
2 zucchini, cut into matchsticks
3-4 spring onions, white and greens finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, packed
1/4 cup toasted pistachios
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
1/4 cup finely grated pecorino romano
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 1lb rotini pasta
Grated parmesan/pecorino to serve

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, add some salt and cook pasta according to directions.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 TBSP olive oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and lightly brown (6-8 minutes). Add the onions and half of the garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat and keep warm until the pasta is done.
3. In a food processor, pulse the mint, parsley, remaining garlic, nuts, cheeses, lemon zest, juice and about 1/4 cup of olive oil to form a pesto. Transfer pesto to a large serving bowl.
4. When pasta is done drain it over a bowl and stir 1 cup of the pasta cooking water into the pesto in the serving dish. Add pasta and zucchini mixture to the bowl and toss to combine. Serve topped with more grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment